Wednesday, November 9, 2016

It's Katie, just Katie


I must be pronouncing my name wrong.  

At first, when I got to Korea, I thought, hmm, maybe Korean people just can't pronounce my name, despite having all of the sounds of my name in their alphabet.  So I got used to responding to "Kayray" or "Kaylee" or sometimes "Kelly."  Ironic, I thought, because neither "R" nor the "L" sound is part of their alphabet so they're just making it harder for themselves.  In Korea, I started introducing myself at "KT, KT Olleh!," as an attempt to pair my name to a company in Korea called KT Olleh.  I thought, this will solve the problem.  There will be no mistake.

WRONG (Trump trademark).  I'd introduce myself at "KT, KT Olleh!," I'd get a laugh, and then they'd go "Oh Kayrah" or "Oh Kaylee."

I bring this up because I've discovered this is not just a Korean thing.  I have introduced myself to a few Russia people who have in term started calling me "Kerry" among other names.


I've come to decide this is a me problem.

2 comments:

  1. A rose by any other name...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should try Anna Marie. That is why I stuck with Chickie for 66 yrs.

    ReplyDelete