Sunday, November 6, 2016

Day 3: Boarding the Train


So Russian people don't use deodorant.  I guess, despite not being able to shower for five days straight, I'll still be the best smelling person around.

I was walking to get some hot water for my coffee and I heard a "hi!" from a timid, smiling Korean face.  "Ah, home" I thought to myself. 

I made friends with this Korean guy who had also befriended a few non-English speaking Russians on the train.  It was me, a Korean guy, and two older Russian men owho had already cracked open their second bottle of vodka.

What I love (and miss) about a new language is that so much of learning a language is intuition, instinct, and body language.  I only know about ten words in Russian.  But between that and my Korean friend's Russian phrase book, we were able to unveil a lot about each other and had an, albeit, hilarious conversation.  Like, we were showing each other our war scars.  One of my cohorts has lost a thumb in ao tragic sawing accident, for example.  Ah, casual train talk.  

I read that Russian train-goers may offer vodka and food to you on the train,  however, I didn't expect it to happen so quickly.  But here I am, three shots in, trying to learn some crazy Russian card game.  Only 36 cards to a deck??  I'm not sure if I'll ever figure it out.



At first, I was starting to feel the tinges of boredom that can come from spending what will end up being a total of 69 hours on a train, no shower, no breaks, very limited bathroom use, but now I think I've discovered the secret to endless train entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment