Monday, November 21, 2016

Day 14: Tyumen to Tobolsk

Here is the day I finally messed up.  I was really looking forward to seeing Tobolsk after reading about how beautiful it is.  It is beautiful.  But apparently on Mondays every museum is closed.  I was really looking forward to seeing the prison museum, alas, closed.  And FREEZING cold out mind you.  Fuh-reezing.

At the will of the frostbite I got on my fingertips when I was young, I gave UP being outside and hit the bar.  It was empty, but it was open.  They didn't ask me, I didn't ask them.  I got my beer jacket on, listened to their weird jazz-like music, and talked to a woman who very much both in appearance and tone, resembled Cyndi Lauper.

After the long day of just giving up and being cold and killing time, I decided to head to the train station for the night to sleep in the resting rooms.  I started looking for a taxi.  While there were a ton AT the train station, after some time it became apparent that were not a lot going in the other direction.  

Getting desperate, I stood outside of what I can only assume was a bus station and waited patiently.  A man drove up to me and asked what I was doing.  "Taxi" I said.  I tried to explain but we couldn't understand each other and he gave up.  5 minutes later he came back.  He gestured me into the car.  In the front seat, I sat while he called his daughter who knows English and I explained to her I needed a taxi to get to the train station.  She talked to her father and he told her he would drive me.  This kind kind man drove me twenty minutes to the train station.  We could barely speak a word to each other.  I imagine he had a million other things he'd rather do, but he very graciously drove a cold young desperate lady to the train station.  He didn't want money but I left it for him anyway.  There is good in this world.  There is altruism.

1 comment:

  1. There certainly is good in the world Katie, and I am so proud of you for paying it forward! (I'm also a bit mad at you too for getting into a car with a strange man... but all's well that ends well. LOL!)
    Love you girl... be careful!

    ReplyDelete