Monday, November 14, 2016

Day 9: Olkhon Excursion


This morning we took a 7.5 hour bus excursion through Olkhon Island.  It was cold, but beautiful and a good opportunity to get to know my English speaking cohorts a little better. 

Now, I've scaled mountains on buses, I've driven through steep and narrows streets, but this was the most terrifying 7.5 hours of my life.  I am Ah-mazed that we didn't get stuck.  We drove through sand dunes, ice, forests, mud, snow, you name it.  I have video evidence of the car at what I swear are 45 degree angles.

We stopped to eat a lunch cooked by our driver.  I got to talking to the Russian man in our group.  He and his wife, and later his children, lived in America (Connecticut actually!) for 26 years.  I asked why they moved to America in the first place.  "No children," he answered.  I have yet to figure out exactly how moving to America was the solution to that problem...  



Anyway, he just moved back to Russia with his youngest daughter a month ago for his wife's work.  He became the translator between us and the tour guide.  He was such a nice guy, but despite his attempt at translating....I have no idea.  No idea what the bus driver was trying to say.  I did understand one moment however.  We came to a cliff with two sides.  He told us that legend has it, if you want to get pregnant and have a boy, go to the left of the cliff.  If you want to get pregnant and have a girl, go to the right.  One guy on the bus asked allowed what I could tell the rest of us were thinking: "What if we don't want any children?!?" I could hear desperation in his voice.  "Perhaps you walk straight through the middle of the cliff and jump off," I offered.

No comments:

Post a Comment