Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Day 23: Nizhny Novgorod


This morning after I woke up, the man sleeping in the bunk underneath mine decided it was time to introduce himself.  This was an old man, Sergie, big mustache, and again, no idea why he was hanging out in the hostel all day.  We spoke briefly and then I departed thinking that would be the end of it.

It's getting colder and colder.  I took a cable car ride over the river thinking it'd be a nice view and a cool thing to see.  It was very nice, but I guess it's mostly used as a way to commute from one town to the other.  I'm sitting on the cable car, taking pictures and have a stunned look on my face watching the pretty view and my co-cable car riders are just staring at their phones, texting, whatever.  But but, the view!  It was amazing!  Le sigh...

When I got back to the hostel that evening I went to the front desk to print something.  That's when I heard a tall, dark, and handsome voice say "Did you come here to escape Trump?"   Without hesitation I responded "Yes, I thought to myself, 'If he wins where will I be the safest'?"  I finally found my first American in Russia.


Later that night I ran into Sergie again.  He, of course, needed his picture with me.  We took a picture and then no other words were exchanged.  No idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment