Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Day 18: GanIna Yama, Attempt 2


This is my second day of trying to get to Ganina Yama.  This is a difficult place to get to, apparently more so in winter.  

I was at the bus stop and the bus I wantèd to take didn't stop.  I ran after it, desperately waving, flailing even, and still it just cruised on by.  Russia doesn't care, Russia does what it wants.

 I must have looked sad or disappointed because a woman came over to me and started talking to me.  I told her I didn't understand and then she talked more, and faster and louder and began using props.  I was overwhelmed.  She found an old man who knew a little English and got him involved in the craziness.  Side note: He is a film maker.  In fact, he filmed during the 1996 Olympics.  Anyway, long story short, they made me get on a random bus with them.  I had no idea where we were going.  We went into a shoe store while the woman called her daughter.  The people working in the shoe store were so confused; as was I.  The woman came back into the store ten minutes later and handed me the phone.  I didn't know what to do with it so I did the only thing I could.  "Hello?" I prayed.  "Hello" I got in response.  Phew.  

Well, blah blah blah, this woman and her daughter are personally taking me tomorrow to Ganina Yama.  Meanwhile, the poor old man, who was probably until this point on his way to work, was just a random unnecessary pawn in this whole insane encounter.  Finally, he went his own way.  

Then, this lady, who did not know a word of English, took me around town and bought me lunch.  We were at the cafe getting lunch and she starts running around asking every single person in he cafe if they spoke English.  Finally she found someone and brought her over to me.  That someone helped the lady and I confirm our plans to meet the next day.  I'm pretty sure this lady is not all there in the membrane.  But, she is harmless, and very very generous.  These kinds of ridiculous things ALWAYS seem to happen to me.  Do I look that pathetic and helpless?  Don't answer...

Later that evening, I arrived at my hostel ready to party with my new friends.  They did not disappoint.  We added another friend to the group; I'll call him Alexander 2.  It started at 11pm with whiskey and went till 5am - when we finally ran out of whiskey.  We had so much fun hanging out, joking around, getting our points across in our respective languages.  At some point the phrase "I'm sick and tired of these M&$:$&;@&$/$& snakes on this M@&$/$&;$&@& plane" made an appearance, though I don't exactly remember the context.


So much ridiculous went on.  Nera and I geeked out over K-pop and Dima and I went on our heated yet passionately lovable political rants.  The Alexanders, following suit with their namesake's history, sat quietly in the background.  It was the best night in Russia.  I can't explain my passion for this night,  I only knew these guys for three days, but I feel like I've known them forever.  I'm going to miss them; I love them.  They legitimately feel like long lost friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment