Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Day 5: Still Still on the Train


Ah, it seems my star has faded a bit.  Though I am still getting "hellos" as people pass my bunk, I have not yet today garnered the surround attention that I received yesterday.  The day is young.  

I did however make a few appearances on some Russian Facebook pages as I found out.  Maybe I'll meet enough people on my trip that I'll become the Kevin Bacon of Russia.  #Dreams

It was my last day/night on the train (my stop came at 4am) and I started to get a little sad. I have attachment issues.  I loved my train friends and I didn't want to leave them.  Especially my Korean friend, whom I actually hopefully will see again in Korea one day.  Alone again, stranded in the Slyudanka train station until daybreaks.


A touching moment of the train that I'll never forget as my trip neared its end was a stop to the major city of Ulan-Ude.  Many people were getting off at this stop.  As I mentioned before, a lot of people in my train cart were young men whom had just finished a year serving in the Russian army and were returning home.  As the train began slowing into the Ulan-Ude station, crowds of people carrying balloons began swarming the train cart's exit. Families and friends gathered in throngs cheering and yelling, eagerly awaiting their beloved soldier to step off of the train.  All the hugging and the happiness...It was honestly so sweet.  Could bring a tear to your eye.

1 comment: