Sunday, October 30, 2016

Day 2: Vladivostok


Now when I say some characters, I do truly mean, I have no idea what these people are about.  Most of my life, whenever I have hostelled, I knew I was in for meeting or at least rooming with other travelers and likely some interesting people.  People who are staying the night to sight-see or are overnighting for business, travel, whatever.  But in this hostel, I think some of these people just live here?  That's not even the word.  Um, hibernate? One woman - she slept all day.  And then she slept all night.  Then she took a shower.  Then she WENT BACK TO SLEEP.  

I'll elaborate.  I woke up at 8 and left the hostel to go exploring.  I needed to find a bank to change money and, after standing outside of one for ten minutes mustering the courage to go inside, I was finally successful.  Then, I got lost.  So, around 12 I went back to my hostel to re-group.  When I got back that woman was still sleeping. 

Vladivostok is an interesting city.  It's an old city, with old soviet buildings scattered everywhere.  Amongst these old buildings are new, modern, innovative buildings and bridges, boats, and a very beautiful coast.  It's new; it's old.  Overall though, not a ton to see, unless you have a car and can drive out to the beautiful islands that are dusted off the coast.

I did stop in one museum.  As I was purchasing my ticket, a woman was pointing in the direction of my coat pocket and saying something.  I keep shrugging my shoulders and she kept pointing until the ticket woman yelled at me "at the cat!"  The woman was pointing at a cat in the distance behind me.  Suhrryy....


I headed back to the hostel and lo and behold the sleeping woman was sleeping.  And the other smelly characters that were staying there were in fact there.  Playing video games, watching Putin on TV, eating Ramen.  What were these people doing there? I guess I'll never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment