Sunday, October 30, 2016

Day 1: Suwon to Vladivostok


I went to visit an old friend, whom I haven't seen in over three years, in his hometown of Suwon thinking it would be a convenient stop along the way to Incheon airport.  Well, it was convenient, but not necessarily my best decision.  I forgot how much he loves to drink.  We met up at 7pm and I don't remember getting back to his place, but he tells me it was around 3am.  The last conscious moment I had was at 11pm.  That's a lot of lost time.  I honestly have no memories, but I will forever remember the worst hangover of my LIFE the next day.  And this is how I began my 36 day journey to Russia.

I got to the airport and, despite my hangover, I was feeling like a total BAMF with my coat, backpack, and nothing else - ready to take on the hugest country on earth.  It was only when a man came up to me at the gate asking me something in Russian that the reality of how little grasp of the language I have really hit me.  I totally choked.  My default in this situation is to smile and nod however, Russian people don't like when strangers smile.  They see it as insincere.  That's when I realized I'm in for a month of really awkward situations.

Now side note, whenever I book a flight, I ALWAYS choose the special meal option.  Why?  1) You get your food first.  2)  It's always healthier and more delicious.  I SWEAR by this.  I bring this up because I did not do this on my flight to Russia.  So our inflight food was a smoked salmon sandwich.  Now, I loves me some lox, but on a plane? Like, in the air?  Where did that salmon come from and how long was it sitting in a paper box.  I want to know.   But maybe that's just me.

My plane arrived late and I, very unfortunately, had to take a taxi to my hostel.  It was expensive and I had a fight with my driver because he tried to swindle me.  Also, he stopped to get gas midway through the drive and kept the meter running.  I was having none of that.  I won the fight, got to my hostel and despite rooming with some true characters, I slept.

No comments:

Post a Comment